- Do I understand and accept karma and rebirth?
- Do I renounce the illusion of material happiness?
- Do I desire enlightenment for all (not just myself)?
- Do I understand, at least conceptually, emptiness and dependent origination?
- Do I have certainty about my own Buddha Nature?
- Do I understand and accept the profound teachings on the Pure Land?
- Do I understand and accept the teaching on dedication and transfer of merit and the Vows of Buddha Amideva?
If the answer is “Yes” to all (or most), then we are good candidates for enlightenment in this life, in this body, and have nothing to fear from physical death.