Equanimity is regarding all beings —without exception— with compassion, loving kindness, and empathic joy.
- rejoicing in the merit (good fortune) of those we like is extended selfishness
- feeling compassion and kindness toward those we like is reciprocation for favor received or expected; it is a debt of gratitude
- feeling love and compassion for those we do not like, and rejoicing in their merit, is virtuous
At a deeper level, equanimity entails maintaining emotional balance:
- avoiding extreme emotions, both ‘positive’ and ‘negative’
- rejecting unqualified judgments of persons, objects, or situations
- refraining from exaggeration and deprecation